Drake Hogestyn (John) has died

A look back at some of Drake Hogestyn's (John) Soap Opera Digest covers.

a288b09f6c5e848e38b4daae22f8630687f3071a.jpg

I don't know if they will do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing Peacock air a tribute of the actors and crew reflecting on their memories of Drake. An hour, perhaps two, of former and current cast members who knew Drake and want to share their memories on camera. If I were a producer there I may reach out to my actors and ask if this is something they want to do.

Not sure it will ever transpire, but it would be a nice gesture.

How ironic that Dick Van Dyke (Timothy) outlived him. I wonder if they get him back for a potential funeral? I also hope that they do give John a dignified exit and not a ridiculous recast like Mickey Horton. I've noticed the pacing has been strange on the show over the past few months with not only John but other characters like Steve and Rafe disappearing for long periods of time too. I hope they stop doing that--it's bad enough John won't be onscreen any longer.

I'm so sad about this. A friend of mine died about an hour before this was announced so it was like a double punch to the gut. And then today Broadway actor Gavin Creel died at 48, also from an aggressive form of cancer. Gavin was like the Drake of Broadway though he did tv and film work too. And then Maggie Smith late last week. That's a lot in a short timeframe. This show will never be the same. Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Martha Madison (Belle) will break me if they kill John off.

I don't know if they will do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing Peacock air a tribute of the actors and crew reflecting on their memories of Drake. An hour, perhaps two of former and current cast members who knew Drake and want to share their memories on camera. If I were a producer there I may reach out to my actors and ask if this is something they want to do.

Not sure it will ever transpire, but it would be a nice gesture.
Peacock probably won't do that, but if NBC Universal/Comcast was like WWE, they would. WWE aired a tribute for Pete Rose tonight. Pete Rose passed away today. Rose is in the celebrity wing of WWE's Hall of Fame so they aired a tribute. Their show is on a NBC Universal owned network, but NBC Universal probably had nothing to do with the decision.

I don't know if they will do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing Peacock air a tribute of the actors and crew reflecting on their memories of Drake. An hour, perhaps two, of former and current cast members who knew Drake and want to share their memories on camera.
Y&R did that when Jeanne Cooper (Katherine Chancellor) died, and it was a wonderful tribute.

Days films 5-6 months ahead of airing dates. If the last scene with Drake already aired on Sept. 9th.......then it was filmed back around March. The show was aware, obviously, of his health problems. It had to be so hard to go on with their scenes all those months filming, knowing how ill Drake was. Think how hard it had to be for them all not to let a word slip, while they prayed for him. God Bless them all.

Rest in peace, Drake, thank you for all you gave to us.
Since Drake's last filming was in March, and has already aired, the question would be, did the writers address John's ending since that last scene or would they wait until Drake's actual death. I would think that it would be very hard, somewhat uncomfortable and maybe disrespectful to have his character end on the show while Drake was still with us.

Am only guessing now........but am thinking that John Black will be on some adventure far away for the next several months, and perhaps around May/June , when word will arrive that John did not make it. Don't know. But the writers have known of his grave illness, and may have thought a lot about what they would do if Drake did not make it, how they would write John Black.

Do not feel they would just pretend he is still around. Am sure they had thought long and hard about how to handle it all......once they learned of Drake's diagnosis. It had to be very difficult for them all, cast, crew, writers, producers, etc.

Our condolences to his family & his friends. He won't ever be forgotten.

He left the show back in July. But his stuff will air until April of 2025.

We don't know any of the specifics as to why he left, or was asked to leave.

Here's the thread we have on it:

Back