Drake Hogestyn (John) has died

Still trying to process this. Ever since I first saw Drake on my TV screen (I started watching in the summer of 1987 but don't remember his pawn days, I think he was supposed to be Roman by then), I had such a huge crush on this guy. He was so handsome, his voice was so deep and melodious, he was just such a wonderful and sensitive character. And later once the internet came along I learned that he had a real life personality to match. He's probably the only actor I ever really wanted to meet, though that never happened. When he elected to let his hair go gray several years ago, I was so impressed. So classy! So attractive! So ... Drake!

Like many here, I had noticed the weight loss and was worried. But pancreatic cancer. I know far too many wonderful people who have been stricken with this terrible affliction.

John and Marlena should have had many more glorious adventures and sunset years ahead. I truly hope that Days gives him the fitting farewell he so richly deserves.

My deepest sympathies go out to Drake's family, friends, fans and colleagues. May his memory be a blessing.

Some additional sad news to report. Drake Hogestyn's final episode as John Black aired on September 9th.

2b43248643eb4d8b9b2a4c44e0c922c3999c268e.jpg

I got the sad confirmation from Days tonight that Drake Hogestyn's final episode as John Black has already aired, on Monday, September 9. His final scene was with Eric Martsolf (Brady) and Leo Howard (Tate) at the townhouse. Tate updates John that Holly has yet to read his text. John: "She will. And I am sure that she's going to take you up on it when she is ready." Brady opens the door. John's last line of dialogue (to Brady) is: "Does this mean that..." Brady tells John that Justin has dropped all the charges. John happily laughs and hugs Brady (pictured above).

Another list of cast tributes. Might have repeats.

I wonder how they're going to explain John's absence for the next 7-8 months?

Will they have him out visiting Paul? Maybe visiting Belle and Shawn, or Claire. Going to see Carrie, Austin and Noah? (since Carrie considers him a bonus dad) Or just maybe he's around, but in another room, or seeing his dad, having lunch with Abe, picking up dinner for him and Doc, etc.?

I don't know why this has bothered me so much, I didn't know the man. I guess it feels like you know someone that you have watched on tv for so many years. How incredibly sad for his family and work family. Funny, but some of my first thoughts were for Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Steve (Stephen Nichols). What will Steve do without his best bud, John?

It has hit me hard as well, TylerMax. All weekend I have been thinking of how big a loss (for Days, for his cast mates and crew, his close friends, and his family).

I happened to see kap’s post on this thread with Roman and Marlena’s theme song and as I listened to it, it brought back many happy memories of Drake’s years playing Roman Brady in the late 80’s through 1991. Also brought tears - not sure why - but he has had more of an impact on my life than I realized. Watching him for almost 40 years, it feels like a good friend has been lost.

I’m so sad for all his family and friends and Days family. This will be a loss that when portrayed on screen, the cast will surely break character with real comments and tears and we will all be crying again. Hate the schedule because that will be 8 months from now. Ugh!

Prayers for all.

This one hurts. I knew something was up based on how thin and frail he looked in his scenes over the past several weeks. Since they tape so many months in advance, I was hoping that whatever was going on with him had been resolved with a positive outcome, and that over time he would appear on screen looking more like his old self. Then to read over the weekend that he had passed away from pancreatic cancer was just so sad. I always loved the character of John Black, and John and Marlena are my all time favorite couple. Making this even more difficult is that he was such a wonderful, positive person in real life. May he rest in peace.

I am wondering which headwriting team will be writing John's exit? Will it be Ron Carlivati who was let go on July 19, 2024 effective immediately OR Paula Cwikly/Jeanne Marie Ford whose material is set to air in May 2025? Or will it be a mix of both teams?

I just wanted to add this note to my post and I apologize for it being "late".

I am so sorry to learn of Drake Hogestyn's passing and my thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, fans and the entire Days' cast and crew. Drake, rest in peace and you will ALWAYS be missed and remembered. Days will never be the same without you.

Last edited:
Back