Drake Hogestyn (John) has died

I understand Kyle Lowder (Rex, ex-Brady) returning if he was still playing the role of Brady Black, but Rex wasn't related to John so I'm not sure what Rex the character would do if it was for John's funeral. On the other hand, I fully get why Sami and Carrie would be seen onscreen during this storyline.

Don't get me wrong I know Kyle Lower the actor would want to be there for Drake Hogestyn (John), just not sure how his character would be involved.

I think Rex might be there because John is ill, which allows Kyle Lowder (Rex) to have something on screen, as he was the first Brady. I also heard that it might be about Sarah having further spinal issues. Either way, his return was a few weeks off from the girls.

Days films 5-6 months ahead of airing dates. If the last scene with Drake already aired on Sept. 9th.......then it was filmed back around March. The show was aware, obviously, of his health problems. It had to be so hard to go on with their scenes all those months filming, knowing how ill Drake was. Think how hard it had to be for them all not to let a word slip, while they prayed for him. God Bless them all.

Rest in peace, Drake, thank you for all you gave to us.

Days films 5-6 months ahead of airing dates. If the last scene with Drake already aired on Sept. 9th.......then it was filmed back around March. The show was aware, obviously, of his health problems. It had to be so hard to go on with their scenes all those months filming, knowing how ill Drake was. Think how hard it had to be for them all not to let a word slip, while they prayed for him. God Bless them all.

Rest in peace, Drake, thank you for all you gave to us.
I'm actually surprised that it wasn't somehow leaked even if by accident. I commend them (cast, crew, friends) if they were all aware and not one person let it slip out.

Ron was writing for April when all the returns (Rex, Sami and possibly Carrie) happened.
Yes, Ron Carlivati's material will continue to air through April 2025, then Paula Cwikly and Jeanne Marie Ford's material will begin airing in May 2025 which would be around same time as Alison Sweeney/Sami's return. I haven't heard any news about Christie Clark/Carrie's return, and I was under the impression, that Kyle Lowder/Rex is returning soon (sometime this year).:confused:

A Look Back: Drake Hogestyn's (John) first month on "Days" - January 1986 Daily Cast Chart:

e0577612c079c08bdd5f0528a3d15e835660a91b.jpg

d80b3f9fb14b11cb01922e950de8f0c08b17a1ca.jpg

05f977bc8c71d55781863438dae680581f3df49e.jpg

7a81a1871c1b33a7a47005931a0414a5f4a5e1af.jpg

Waiting for Deidre Hall's (Marlena) response to his passing. She must be devastated.
I'm waiting for Stephen Nichols (Steve) to comment. Unless I missed it, I'm surprised he hasn't posted anything. Same for Peter Reckell (Bo). Peter Reckell I think made an emoji on a post, but didn't really offer anything. Peter's wife I think said something to Drake's wife. Perhaps they are trying to find the right words or are too upset to comment right now.

If they knew and his last filmed scene has aired, then they must have a hiatus written into the story already. I wonder how they will write him out. I hope they give him a good final story that fits with the character. I hope it’s a big, heroic story that sends Steve and all his friends on an adventure.

I’m wondering how they write his absence as well.

Part of me would like John Black to stay alive, knowing he is still in Salem would be a comforting thought. He could be in the kitchen or at the gym or went to the store to pick up some strawberries.

However, that may be unsatisfying for others and having closure for the actor and the character of John Black would also be comforting. It could be like Dr. Tom Horton, who died in his sleep and found by Alice off screen.

It could be like Victor Kiriakis, who died in a plane crash off screen.

I imagine there would be a story that has symbolic meaning to John and Marlena’s past. Maybe he is on a work trip to Hawaii where their honeymoon was in 1999. Or he is in New Orleans, near Maison Blanche, and disappears. Marlena, Steve, Brady, Belle and Paul could all go looking and end up finding Stefano still live and he and John both are laying in a makeshift prison cell, both murdered, but by whom?

A new villain could be introduced as the one who took down both Stefano and John. Marlena and John’s children and all their loved ones mourn John. Marlena and his children then hunt down the new villain and have an epic confrontation. John’s legacy is passed on to his children and grandchildren.

Back