Free to Low Cost E-Books

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Do any of you belong to Bookbub.com? I've been a member of the free service for 14 years.

It works with Amazon Kindle and Kindle Fire, iPad, Kobo, smartphones, and any other eReaders. A lot of the books can be read on your computer if you have downloaded the programs to do so.

When you join, you specify which book service or services you want it to scan each day plus the book genres you're interested in along with the price range. (If it is Amazon, you do need to have an Amazon account.)

I receive an email every day with a list of books and the price. Most are free! I've only paid for 3 books out of over 2,000 that I've read since getting my first Kindle in 2006.

Amazon also has a ton of free e-books to download.

What's nice is that BookBub scans through the free, sale, and low cost books in the genres you choose, and finds new ones that you haven't read yet to save you time. It also finds books that are free for only 24 hours. You can also add a watch on authors or book titles for when they are free or on sale. I've saved a lot of money by putting watches on Amazon e-books through Bookbub.

I never heard of Bookbub, so I am going to check that out.

Another free option is the Open Library, which is part of the Internet Archive (openlibrary.org). Many print library books that have been discarded have been scanned and are available to read through Open Library, especially older, hard to find books. Their goal is to make all published works available to everyone. You can sign up for free and check out up to five e-books at a time for two weeks. There may be waiting lists for a book so you may have to wait to check it out if it is a popular title. If there is no e-book available, the system also uses WorldCat to show you libraries close to your area that have a print copy of the book.

Yay!!! I'll have to check this out. I have been trying to get my hands on some history books, and there aren't a lot of options where I have been looking. I have an extreme part time job, so in my down time I am trying to WRITE an American antebellum ghost story. There is a LOT of history I still need, and want to know.

Back