Drake Hogestyn (John) has died

5bbd006b91eb06d73e7e010625a0123f4c4b36d6.jpg

Rest in peace, Drake. Thank you for four decades of John Black. You were part of the first storyline I ever watched on "Days", The Cruise of Deception, in 1990. It was an honor getting to meet you at several fan events through the years. I always knew Salem was in good hands with John keeping an eye on things. My condolences to Victoria, his children and all of the "Days" family.

4c13ee7d538fee821a97e818ed966259633b43e8.jpg

I physically gasped out loud when I saw this posted on instagram.
Same - I thought it must be a hoax or a misunderstanding. I knew there was some decline but not expecting this. 70 is fairly young to pass nowadays, I thought we'd have him for a lot longer.

This is one I hope the show writes like Sally Spectra (on the Bold & the Beautiful) where John leaves for an adventure and just stays alive in our memories forever.

This news is hard to accept. I didn’t know he was fighting pancreatic cancer. John Black has been on Days for as long as I have watched since 1989. He was the center of many of the storylines I loved the most on Days. From Cruise of Deception, Marlena’s return from the dead and the pier scene, Chichen Itza, the pit, the affair with Marlena, Maison Blanche, the possession/devil, Aremid, Paris, and Kristen/Susan and baby John Jr.

John Black was a leading man like no other. Often the hero. Always the romantic and passionate lover and husband (to Marlena, to Isabella, and even to Kristen). The best dad to Carrie, Eric, Sami, Brady, Belle, and Paul. He cared and he loved. He would do anything and everything for those he loved.

My condolences to Drake Hogestyn’s family and loved ones.

This is gut-wrenching. Just so hard. As someone who doesn’t remember his life before hearing MacDonald Carey’s (Tom Horton) voice utter “Like sands through the hourglass…” I cannot believe Drake Hogestyn (John Black) is gone. I remember the early days of his character wrapped in gauze and bandages and Doc (Marlena Evans) fussing over him as a psych patient with no memory to his historic arguments with “Vic,” this one just breaks my heart.

I cannot imagine a Salem, a Brady clan, Marlena or even Roman without him. May his family gain comfort from the wonderful memories they must possess of him. Seventy is way too young to die, but his mark on his fans’ lives is indelible. Isabella died of pancreatic cancer on Oct. 16, 1992. I believe in Heaven, and I believe John Aniston (Victor Kiriakis) was waiting with a smile and a joke. Those two loved each other, as did Drake (John) and Joe Mascolo (Stefano DiMera). May the three of them play a hearty game of chess and each enjoy a snifter of brandy.

IMG_6349.jpeg

Last edited:
Back