Carolyn Hinsey's comment in SOD

Daysdegrassi

Reaction score
I saw something that made me upset, laugh, and just downright surprised recently in the latest SOD. Carolyn Hinsey is the author of the "It's Only My Opinion" column, and she always struck me as a fan of the EJ and Sami coupling. Yet her hypocrisy shows in the latest edition when she says Gabi trying to take Nick back is a "disturbing message". Did anyone else see this?

I did not but I'm honestly disappointed that anyone in SOD would be so biased. That magazine is one of the few publications that is still somewhat objective and also on point for the most part. I know a lot of what they publish is fed from the shows but her opinion is not.

Well, I agree with her. Gabi trying to taking back Nick is very disturbing even though she is trying to save herself as well as her friends. He is beyond just being an evil / wicked character.

Since Daysd mentioned Sami and EJ in his starting post......Even though I can't stand Sami and EJ together, I do see a difference. EJ is just bad to the bone when following his DiMera "family" lifestyle. He has done a lot of evil things, though he hasn't exhibited any signs of mental health issues.. Nick is so much more than just evil. There are a lot of mental health problems with this guy. He blames the way he is on what happened in prison and how he's been "treated" since coming back. Nope, he started his journey into darkness long before that.

Nick did start down a dark road long before he went to prison. And when he got back he was NOT treated badly. He had all the Horton women as his personal cheerleaders. He landed a job almost immediately from the matriarch of another of Salem's prominent families. He landed a beautiful girl who was completely supportive of him and in love with him. All of his cousins were very accepting of him. Anyone who knew him believed that his actions were due to a reaction to a prescription and that he would never have done those evil things had he not been prescribed that medication. The only thing missing from Nick's conversation with Julie was her pointing it out to him that he did NOT have it bad when he got out of prison so he needs to get off of that kick. In fact I wish Maggie would have said it to him when they spoke but I think she was actually stunned at how wrong she was about his actions and was scared as well. She should have reminded him that she talked Victor into opening his home to Nick but again I say I think Maggie got scared.

The difference in Sami/EJ and Gabi/Nick is, to me, Sami actually thinks she is in love with EJ, whereas Gabi is terrified of Nick and what he will do if she isn't with him. And that does send a disturbing message. Both pairings do. To me, it says enabling your abuser is okay. Gabi is allowing Nick to completely run her life, control her relationships, use her and her baby to hurt the people she loves and who actually love her. All because she's afraid of what he will do not only to her, but to them. In some weird way, she's sacrificing herself to protect everyone else (in her mind). But it's wrong.

Well, I agree with her. Gabi trying to taking back Nick is very disturbing even though she is trying to save herself as well as her friends. He is beyond just being an evil / wicked character.

Since Daysd mentioned Sami and EJ in his starting post......Even though I can't stand Sami and EJ together, I do see a difference. EJ is just bad to the bone when following his DiMera "family" lifestyle. He has done a lot of evil things, though he hasn't exhibited any signs of mental health issues.. Nick is so much more than just evil. There are a lot of mental health problems with this guy. He blames the way he is on what happened in prison and how he's been "treated" since coming back. Nope, he started his journey into darkness long before that.
I agree that it is disturbing as well. Just am surprised at the blatant hypocrisy. She says Gabi taking back Nick when he tried to rape her sends a bad message. This is true, but then she supports Sami with EJ, who DID rape her, and doesn't say that is disturbing.

I continue to flashback to Nick's mother, who had DID (a multiple identity disorder.) Jennifer's mother had psychological problems as well. Perhaps it is a Horton thing? Even Hope went a bit cuckoo after a bout with drugs...
Except that Laura wasn't a Horton by blood; only by marriage; and Hope's situation was a side effect of her sleeping pills. So it's not a "Horton thing".

[re: Nick/mental illness] It's not a Horton thing; it's a lame writer thing.

[re: Thread Topic] She's always struck me as an EJ/Sami "shipper" (i.e., supporter) as well, and I agree this is pretty hypocritical of her. I usually agree with her as well, except about EJ/Sami (who seem to be the darlings of soap publication writers).

Or perhaps the truth about Gabi is 'E', all of the above.

I agree - she is both dumb, needy, and potentially self-sacrificing, based on what she said about coming to love Nick someday. She is probably desperate for validation as a person: the baby gives that to her, and Nick (to a point) gives that to her. People who crave recognition and validation often cling to the people who give them that, even if those people are not the right people to be associated with.

Gabi actually now seems rather frightened. She is afraid to cross Nick, to argue with him, etc. I do agree that she MAY have finally realized what he was capable of when he grabbed her phone and dialed Aiden's number, telling her what to say and do it NOW.
However, it has been disturbing and irritating to a great many Days viewers that Gabi was seemingly taken in by the man who tried to rape her, forced Ari's father to relinquish any claim to her, who she nearly killed herself. She has never indicated before any fear, insisting all the while how he has changed.

Back