Summer 2024 Olympics

Egads, hard to believe the opening ceremonies will be lasting 4 hours. Sorry, but .........well, that won't keep me glued to that channel for that long. Yes, it is a huge big deal, I know. but I cannot even last that long watching Gone With the Wind!

That's why I'm taping it tonight.

It was mentioned on Twitter it rained during it.

This is some of Celine Dion's performance. She's at the end

You can go to link on YouTube to watch

Wow, she sounds (and looks) amazing after everything she's been through with her health. Really happy to see her doing so well again.

FYI, if you have Peacock, you can watch the replay of the opening ceremony.

I reposted Celine Dion on another YouTube site since NBC is taking down the others.
This one is from NBC sports.

Could not understand a word of the song, but her voice was fantastic. I think the audio of the computer may be having a problem. I watched about the 1st half hour of the opening, on TV, was bored and not impressed, and changed the channel. Went back later, nope, had not gotten any better (to me) so watched a bit, gave up.

Just read the the opening ceremonies were panned all over the world. Having it outside did not work at all, being that it poured rain, which the mics picked up instead of the music, no really large crowds, but those there were in ponchos, raincoats, umbrellas, etc.

I thought most of the opening ceremonies were wonderful. The rain was awful, and I couldn't believe they were playing pianos in the rain! I think those instruments will be ruined. I do wish NBC had picked anyone other than Kelly Clarkson to do the coverage - she added no value to her color commentary, other than to go between, "This is cool," and, "This is really cool."

I LOVED the robot horse riding down the Seine. I thought that turning that bridge into a red carpet was pretty creative, although the clothes and models weren't my style. And, I didn't even get that it was supposed to be the Last Supper. Overall, I was pretty happy to watch it. I was disappointed that only the first hour or so was with no commercials. I had thought it would be for the whole show. Now, on to gymnastics!

Here's the NBC evening schedule. Times are Eastern time.

FRIDAY, JULY 26
7:30 pm: Opening ceremony

SATURDAY, JULY 27
8:06 pm: Gymnastics — men’s qualifications
8:35 pm: Swimming — men’s 400m freestyle final
10:10 pm: Diving — women’s synchronized 3m springboard

SUNDAY, JULY 28
7 pm: Gymnastics — women’s qualifications
8 pm: Swimming — men’s 400m IM and 100m breaststroke finals

MONDAY, JULY 29
8 pm: Diving — men’s synchronized 10m platform
9 pm: Gymnastics — men’s team final
10 pm: Swimming — women’s 400m IM, men’s 100m backstroke, women’s 200m freestyle and more

TUESDAY, JULY 30
8 pm: Gymnastics — women’s team final
9 pm: Swimming — women’s 100m backstroke final
10 pm: Surfing — women’s final

WEDNESDAY, JULY 31
8 pm: Swimming — women’s 100m freestyle and 1500m freestyle finals
9 pm: Gymnastics — men’s all-around final

THURSDAY, AUG. 1
8 pm: Gymnastics — women’s all-around
9 pm: Swimming — women’s 200m breastroke final

FRIDAY, AUG. 2
8 pm: Track & Field — women’s 100m (Round 1)
9 pm: Diving — men’s synchronized 3m springboard
Swimming — women’s 200m backstroke and men’s 50m freestyle

SATURDAY, AUG. 3
8 pm: Track & Field — men’s shot put final
Swimming — men’s 100m butterfly final
9 pm: Gymnastics — women’s vault final

SUNDAY, AUG. 4
7 pm: Gymnastics — men’s vault final
8 pm: Track & Field — women’s 800m semifinal
9 pm: Gymnastics — women’s uneven bars final
Track & Field — men’s 100m final

MONDAY, AUG. 5
8 pm: Gymnastics — women’s beam final
9 pm: Track & Field — men’s 200m (Round 1)
Gymnastics — women’s floor final
Track & Field — women’s 800m final

TUESDAY, AUG. 6
8 pm: Diving — women’s 10m platform final
9 pm: Track & Field — women’s 400m hurdles semifinals, women’s 200m final

WEDNESDAY, AUG. 7
8 pm: Track & Field — men’s 110m hurdles semifinals
9 pm: Track & Field — men’s 400m hurdles semifinals, women’s pole vault finals

THURSDAY, AUG. 8
8 pm: Diving — men’s 3m springboard final
9 pm: Track & Field — women’s long jump final, men’s 200m final, women’s 400m hurdles final

FRIDAY, AUG. 9
8 pm: Diving — women’s 3m springboard final
9 pm: Track & Field — women’s shot put final, women’s 400m final, men’s 400m hurdles final
Breaking — women’s final

SATURDAY, AUG. 10
8 pm: Diving — men’s 10m platform final
9 pm: Basketball — men’s final
Track & Field — men’s and women’s 4×400 relay finals
Breaking — men’s final

SUNDAY, AUG. 11
7 pm: Closing ceremony

I just finished watching the opening ceremony. It was great even with the rain.

I don't know what I liked best, Celine Dion or hearing the bells at Notre Dome. The first
time played since the fire.

rf, I'm just excited that I have an actual chance this year to see the equestrians. In 1976, I had tickets to the Olympics to watch the equestrian events. As life happens, I had to give my tickets away to someone who lived in the area. She sold them and made some money. The tickets were a wedding gift for me. Those events are NEVER aired, but will be this year. Granted, I'll be up at odd hours, but still.

I felt bad for France team on vault.

A few times I watched gymnastics with my grandmother and she rooted for all the girls. It didn't matter to her they weren't team USA.

Back