HIPAA?

maruuac

Reaction score
What's up with the new found confidentiality at the hospital these days? They are making it abundantly clear that they follow the patient confidentiality (HIPAA) laws these days. Daniel can't discuss his patients, the nurses cannot talk about who was admitted and even family members are not privy to any information "unless it is ok with the patient." Lol! Even the nurse today mentioned to Anne Milbauer that she could not tell her who was admitted (until Anne virtually threatened her job if she didn't). I just find it funny that now all of a sudden it is becoming a big deal on this show. :confused:

But on the other hand it is hard to be discreet when your office is 2nd booth on the left at Club TBD, or 5th chair at Victor's bar/club, or right side Nurses Station 3rd floor, or SouthEastNorth entrance bench to the park. You know, by the big bushes where no one ever stands to overhear??

I am guessing they got plenty of feedback/flak about the lack of ethics and not enforcing the HIPAA code (which causes people to give REAL hospitals and doctors a lot of static) so they are correcting themselves. We sure have mentioned it on this board quite a bit.
Too bad they don't pay attention to other items the viewers don't particularly care for.

Whatever serves DA PLOT is my first reaction...if it sticks, I'll be happy as a clam though!! I'm sure some purpose is being served (like mild grist for Nicole/Daniel, trouble for Jeannie, etc.).

I do, however, prefer grist from REAL situations (like not being able to find out from your doctor/love interest about your friend's hospitalisation) rather than ridiculousness or silly plotting.

While I will agree that Brady is Nicole's friend, why should that give her special privileges as to info on him? He specifically said he wanted no one to know. And yet now Anne, Theresa, Nicole, all know, Marie broke her oath, and Victor is having a fit. And since Nicole already knew Brady was in the hospital, why would she give Daniel a hard time. Is the HIPAA oath/code only applied to others, not Nicole.
Hey, I love her, but this was a bit much, for me.

Let me clarify, Poirot. In real life, Nicole wouldn't get any info from the doctor treating Brady, even if they were married. (And I by no means meant to suggest Nicole should have been told by her recently de-scruffed pseudo-lover.) But it has been par for the course in Salem for everyone to know everything at all times, so this sudden turnabout in following real-world rules (while I would love to believe has something to do with the writers listening to fans/critics) merely serves as a plot point.

Just like babies/tots, previously unheard of ex-lovers, sudden inability to manage finances, and sudden police competence, sudden compliance to real-world rules is a flag to serve their outlandish plots. If these things were worked in more subtly (example: If Theo had been seen more than twice in the last six months, his pushing Abby/Chad would have been less grating; or if Paul had had his surgery and PT and interacted with others for a few months before trying to french Sonny), they would be acceptable, and much less obvious. But I have no doubt that next month, if it serves DA PLOT, Daniel won't know what HIPAA is.

I mean, these are still the writers who pushed certain couples in defiance of critics, ratings, and general fan reaction. Who broke up other couples and brought back unpopular villains. Who create characters without story and backburner other characters with tons of story potential. If they can't listen about major things, I doubt they'd listen about minor things. Just my read on it. Truly hope I'm wrong, so I can be sad when these hacks are jobless. :)

Edited to add: We are also talking about the writers who have inexperienced writer Will Horton, who didn't even finish college or publish anything significant during his college career, with a super contract that lets him write articles for anyone he wants to. That's right, a contract that explicitly states he can write for others. (So much for real-world logic.)

Well, working for the State Health Dept of Maryland, I say it's about time and for the nurses and doctors to tell people "back off, you can't fire me for following a national law". Even Anne Milbauer is not supposed to have privy to patients' information!

Back