Happy 90th, Bill Hayes (Doug)!

Jason47

Reaction score
HAPPY 90TH, BILL HAYES (Doug)!

11406285_586026234872988_1162197229622901702_o.jpg

Bill Hayes (Doug) celebrates his 90th birthday on Friday, June 5. Hayes is a legend in the entertainment industry: He was a regular on "Your Show of Shows", one of the first variety shows on television; had a # 1 Billboard hit with "The Ballad of Davy Crockett", appeared on Broadway as the lead in "Me and Juliet"; and, since 1970, has played Doug Williams on "Days of Our Lives." Before starting his career in show business, Hayes graduated from DePauw University and served in the Navy in World War II.

Bill joined "Days of Our Lives" in February 1970 as con artist Brent Douglas, the cellmate of Bill Horton. As soon as Brent was released from prison, he changed his name to Doug Williams and was hired by Susan Martin to romance Julie Olson. Sparks soon flew between both Doug and Julie, as well as Bill and Susan Seaforth. Bill and Susan were married in 1974, and Doug and Julie tied the knot in the first on-location wedding in "Days" history in 1976. The duo even recited their real-life wedding vows as they got married on "Days." Hayes became the first actor on "Days" to appear in a dual role, when he played Doug's look-alike brother, Byron Carmichael, in 1979.

Bill is also a published author, having co-written an autobiography, as well as a historical novel, with his wife. Bill and Susan recently celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary, and Bill just celebrated the 45th anniversary of his playing Doug on "Days."

"Days" fans, make sure you sing a verse of Happy Birthday for Bill this weekend. Happy Birthday, Bill!

Thank You Doug Williams (Bill Hayes) and I want you to know that you and Julie Williams (or the lovely Susan Seaforth Hayes), both to know, I have watched both of you during your tenure, and have loved every day you were on, and could not wait till it was time for you to return to this show we all watch and adore.

Thanks for the reason to get home early in the afternoon in those days, as there was no recorders, and for the ones I wanted to spend my time with when I was not feeling very well, and had to spend some time in bed, I would always make sure I could see the TV.

You have brought me more enjoyment than any other past time I can think of, and have continued watching during the entire duration of the show. Thanks for the memories, and for the laughs, and for the delightful music, and your share of hoofing it too.

Last year, Bill & Susan went on this huge, months long vacation, driving all over the U.S. Up to New England, DC, down South, thru the midwest, up in the Dakotas, thru Rockies, out West. It sure did seem like they visited nearly every state in the U.S. mainland. I tweeted Susan at one point, asking What kind of car they were driving, since they were "seeing the U.S.A.", sure enough, she laughed and said something about the Chevrolet.
(For those unfamiliar, some years ago, Chevie had a slogan about "seeing the U.S.A in your Chevrolet". It was really big time on TV)

I have their book "Sands Thru the HourGlass". A really good read. They take turns, writing individual chapters about each of their early lives....and it is interesting to read, at times, what each has to say about the same events.

Today was Barbara Bush's 90th birthday too. I know now that Doug Williams, Bill Hayes, shares his special day with a special lady. I really liked her, and I guess people of that era was just naturally adventurous. I missed the special day by three days. That is ok. That makes them a handful of years older than me...... hehehe Happy Birthday to her and to Bill Hayes too.

Back