And where are?????

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
seems to me a few Salemites haven't been seen for a while.......John Black, Steve Johnson, even Kayla! Granted I may have just missed or forgotten what happened to them all......but has anyone actually left the show? Or is the show just "resting" a few characters, storyline yet to come??

John was on two weeks back. Jack and Chad found him in Poplar Bluff, then he came home and he and Marlena were at the pub, then noticed Brady's car was in the wrong spot. I think that was shown August 15. Kayla has been all over Sarah in the hospital, most recently seen last Monday August 19. Steve was chatting to Kayla about Sarah and Abigail on that day too.

Rafe is the only one that is clearly off screen and "resting". Literally. lol

Honestly I don't even remember he is off screen unless somebody mentions him. Jada is doing a vastly superior job in his position.

thanks Brisby........honestly, it seems a long time between scenes for some. Maybe I wasn't paying attention as the storylines don't seem to hold much interest for me.......but then.......2 weeks is a long time, actually. Characters should all be on at least once or twice a week, even if for just a few minutes. Heck, they shove Kayla in here and there a lot (but having been only doc, no wonder) but now they brought in Dr. Greene. so Kayla will probably get much less screen time now.

I've been watching a British soap, Hollyoaks, on Hulu. I've seen 60 episodes and I still haven't seen all the characters. The pacing, sets, everything is top-notch, but a lot of characters seem to float for months with short one-off appearances. It really works for streaming though.

I have been wondering if this model could be applied to US soaps, especially Days and the upcoming The Gates, as having a front-burner storyline for every character just isn't possible. A lot of the "older" characters on Hollyoaks own businesses (like the bar, the restaurant, the grocery store) and they relay their experiences to the younger set (based on what was shown on screen in the 1990s/2000s). It really works and is a stark contrast to Days with its constant repetitions and flashbacks.

Kayla can spend 70% of her time as a doctor, Steve as an investigator, Marlena as a doctor/psychiatrist, etc. Parenting their kids/grandkids can be 20-25%, and having cute scenes every now-and-then to round out their time. Keep them in Salem, together, and active - but focus the drama and upheavals on characters with <35 years on the show.

But to Poirot's point, they should be seen and it should be easy to remember when we saw them last! Characters do seem to vanish for long periods without explanation.

Drake Hogestyn (John) was definitely off for an extended period @Poirot And he does not look well. I am praying he is ok.

Rafe I have no clue. He has been off screen since mid July. But I'm not missing him a bit.

I think Stephen Nichols (Steve) was on vacation. Mary Beth Evans (Kayla) was on a grandma break for a while too. The vets come and go a bit as they are not front burner.

Brisby.........I agree with about about Drake Hogestyn (John) last we saw he did seem to have not been well, also praying he is o.k. now.

Thanks for the other info.......!

What's sad is for almost every character they could disappear and I wouldn't notice. And maybe they could use that as a way to deal with actors leaving in the future. Just go back to someone going off to mail a letter and that's that. If no one here or on the show mentioned Rafe I probably wouldn't have even thought of him for a long time. Six months from now they could casual mention he took a job in Hawaii and I'd be like oh ok. And I actually like Rafe but all they use him for is to give him a bum deal with a woman usually.

Back