9/8/24 - Donuts and Birds of a Feather

Wilde Woman

Reaction score
My terrace currently resembles Hitchcock's "The Birds." They are all lined up on both the upper and lower parts of the outer balcony. At the same time, I am watching "Homicide: Life on the Streets" on Peacock, and a scene comes up depicting someone's pigeon coop. I kid you not! I am trying to think of the pigeons as my feathered guardian angels. Maybe they represent family from the great beyond. At this point, nothing surprises me. Trying to think of them in this light helps, instead of focusing on their "souvenirs."

Other than that, it is 62 degrees, 48% humidity and high pollen count. Sunny and breezy.

Wishing all a lovely Sunday, and hope no one ruffles your feathers. :rotfl:

1725808000581.png

Good luck with your birds, I guess they've all come home now that the Paralympics are over. The geese are returning to Wichita.... I hadn't realized they were gone till I started seeing and hearing them everywhere.
The toads magically disappeared while I was in California doing cabin clean up...Crickets have replaced them... lots and lots of tiny crickets everywhere... and spiders....I don't remember either hanging out last year....
We have new neighbors across the way.... they have a toddler AND a newish labrador puppy....... both need to be taught lessons, as neither appear to acknowledge Vinnie's rule of the open area.....he barks furiously until I let him out then silence....he's a clown.....

When I read what Hitchcock did to Tippi Hedren in that bedroom scene of The Birds it makes the scene scarier and you realize men have enjoyed terrorizing women forever.....

Good Sunday to all.....

It was in the 40s when I walked this morning.

I waited until 9 to work outside when it got in the 60s. It's sunny and in the 70s now.

Wilde Woman, enjoy the pigeons as best you can.

robin, I hope Vinnie learns to like his new neighbors.

I hope everyone has a restful day.

For some reason, I thought I'd gotten on here earlier today. The days all run together for me but but this one should have seemed different since it was a day to get out of the house--for Sunday school and church.

Ooh, Kat, I think you're trying to overtake Poirot with the cool temperature! Seems so recent that you were waiting later to go out because it was too hot, and now all of a sudden, because it's too cold. Changes in weather are strange.

Robin, uh-oh, I wonder if the newcomers will catch on to the order of things with the Beast. Crickets--can you hear me screaming? I have a serious aversion to those creepy things. They're not the main reason but up close to the top reason why I will not have outside lights that stay on at night. A couple of summers ago, when nearly everyone in the community was overrun with crickets, I didn't have any. Almost everybody has the big flood lights that stay on all night, which I do not want for a number of reasons. Anyway, when I entered high school they were still doing silly things like Freshman initiation rituals. Some of the older kids took me downtown (small town but lots of street and store lights) after dark and forced me to walk barefoot through the mounds of crickets, live and dead. The horror of it still lingers whenever I see crickets.

Oh, Wilde Woman, you are always so good to keep a positive outlook on things. I think those pigeons must require some extra effort. It's awful that the only positive thing I can think of to say is kind of a negative thing: It's good that the pigeons of a century or so ago (were they carrier pigeons?) are no longer around. I've read that the whole sky would be dark for days when they passed over. Like millions or billions of them. When my youngest son was a kid he got some homing pigeons. His dad built a coop for them. We took them to a town about 45 miles away and turned them loose to see if they'd come home and they did. Strange, I can't remember whatever finally became of them.

I need to watch The Birds again sometime. I remember seeing it way back when it was new, and may have seen it one other time but it's been so long now, I can't remember the details. It would probably be too scary for me now.

Robin, they truly made those shelves of books a mystery!

robin, I don't put books on the shelf that way, but I've found books put on the shelf that way. Unsure
if kids or adults.

OC, my days run together too especially on the weekends.

Tis funny, years ago, enjoyed scary movies, even Frankenstein, the Wolfman, Zombies, and more. But today.........nope, avoid any of those kinds of movies. I like Murder mysteries, like Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, some of Hitchcock, or Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote, lolol. But I mostly try to stick with romance, comedies (Sure wish they'd bring back old Newhart episodes), drama, NO horror stuff. Ha.

Kat, YES, weekends get me more lost than ever.

Poirot, another yes here. I used to watch all the scary stuff, from the ridiculous to the scary but no more. I think it's mostly from getting older and how I view the world, etc., but also there was a major change in entertainment somewhere along about the late 1960s-early 1970s, when they started making shows too realistic and very "dark." Things also got gory and graphic, and all geared toward the angst in modern society. I want happily ever-afters!! Guess that pretty much leaves Hallmark and old reruns. I don't even know if I still get Hallmark, since I had to change up my whole Dish system months ago. I think I may not get Turner Classic anymore. I don't often look anywhere outside of the few "favorites" channels I set up.

Oh my goodness, Robin, I loved reading and hearing that! All the cattle people I know raise free-range cattle the way I do, so there is little opportunity or inclination to try to tame them. However, most of us have at times bottle fed an orphan calf, which does indeed turn them into over-sized pets. But rarely is it possible to keep one for a lifetime so getting that attached makes it hard to turn loose. When my sister got older and had health problems she raised an orphaned bull calf. He loved her and was on her heels every step she took. Because of his size and exuberance, and her limitations, this became dangerous for her so she had no choice but to get rid of him.
I did learn some things I didn't know and I really like the idea of using cows for therapy. Makes me want to go out and find my cows right now, since I haven't seen them lately. I've never tried to figure out the psychology behind it but I have known for a long time that it's soothing to me to drive out in the pasture and call up my cows and have them gather round the truck while waiting for everyone to get there and be fed. It's so interesting to me to watch their expressions and habits. Dr. Bern could no doubt answer a lot of the questions about those things that leave me wondering and guessing.

Back