10/17/24 - Donuts and Birthday cake

Good morning, and thank you all for the good wishes. I have "interesting" plans. I'm heading to the doctor's office early this morning for a couple of new [for me] procedures. One is called an neural check [or something like that] and it will measure my biological age among other things. That seems like an appropriate thing to do on my birthday. :rotfl:

It was 27 when we walked this morning. Some of my flowers died this time. The mum and some
zinnias are still alive.

A busy day at the little library. I spent the afternoon catching up on my studies.

Lil0, I hope your procedures went well.

rs, I hope your day wasn't too busy.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

I've been trying to get here all day. Went to the doctor this afternoon, then had to cook some stew meat later to keep it from going bad. Trying to get around to getting ready for my daughter to come tomorrow--and homecoming.

Lil0 I hope you've had a good birthday. Your procedure sounds interesting. I hope it went to your liking!

Robin, please tell me what was going on in the sky nearly an hour ago. I looked out and saw the big orange moon low in the east. Kept an eye on it off and on until it got a little higher but still low enough to be orange. Went to get my phone to take a picture of it and when I came back the moon had two dark stripes around it, like bands. Sort of like an orange pool ball with two wide black stripes or bands painted on it. I stood there looking at it, even with my binoculars from inside my house and also from outside--I went back and forth. Very unusual. (There were no clouds or anything that could readily account for the stripes, which were very distinct). I stepped away for a few seconds, then looked again and there was only one stripe. At this point I noticed over to the right of the moon, like south of the moon from my perspective, not very far and about at the same level, were two very bright lights, side by side and not far apart. They were a little like Venus was last night only bigger and brighter. I looked for a few minutes. They didn't move. I put down the binoculars and picked up my phone to try to get a picture but the two lights were gone and the band was gone from the moon! Am I the only one who saw any of this?

the moon was 10 minutes ago still hiding in the trees.... I will go check the orange color is from fires, either near you or in the atmosphere from Idaho and other northern states. We have hazy skies in Kansas or did till today's wind took care of anything not nailed down.....I did get the comet again today... its now more west/northwest and I wish I knew how to work a camera where I could control the shutter... It could be a better shot
Comet from front yard Oct 17 2024.JPG
(thumbnail click on picture it should get bigger)

I'm glad you're getting to see this comet, Robin. If it's getting to the northwest I might be able to see it from my house but I'd have to go out in the yard. Maybe tomorrow. I didn't know about those fires causing the orange color. It is beautiful but I don't wish fires on anybody.

Kat, thank you for asking. Dr. found my arm problem puzzling. He went through several causes of arm/shoulder pain but mine didn't exactly fit any of them. The Tylenol and Ibuprofen had quit working a couple of days ago so I was in pretty miserable pain, which had gotten even worse on the drive to town. He gave me two shots for the pain, which helped a lot, and a prescription. Also sent me for x-rays and blood work. I'm hoping the shots will get me through homecoming. My daughter comes tomorrow.

Back