Salem Legal Follies

Xander’s initial reluctance to accept Victor’s bequest raises the question of who would inherit his share if he refused it. In such cases, the inheritance would go to those who would have received it had there been no will. This means that Xander’s refused share would be split by Victor’s sons, Philip (wherever he is) and Bo Brady. If Philly K. could not be found, eventually, he could be declared legally dead. Since he has no children, Bo would then get the entire share. (Imagine Ciara as Titan CEO.)

Jason, you’re correct — if a man with children dies intestate in Illinois, the widow gets half and the children split the remainder. In the scenario I described Victor didn’t died intestate. He left a will, but if Xander refused to accept his inheritance, that bequest fails. Since Maggie has already received what she’d get if Victor had died intestate, the question is what to do with the unclaimed share. In Illinois that share goes to persons who would have inherited part of Victor’s estate if he’d died intestate, i.e,. his children. Here, that’s Philly K. and fan favorite Bo Brady, Victor’s sons.

Last edited:
Jason, the children of deceased heirs would get their share. I omitted the names of such people because my grasp of pre-2011 Salem history is weak. It consists largely of Horton the Tiger, Susan Banks saying “my baby, my baby,” and tales of early Sami misdeeds that are told and retold as part of Salem folklore.

It seems that foolish Brady is headed for perdition with his plans to confess to hitting Sarah with his car, but all is not lost. There may be no proof that Tate’s father was driving the car at the critical moment and without that his confession is worthless. And if the car is ever found Granny Fiona’s fingerprints might be found on the steering wheel and driver’s side door. However, the news would not be as good if Justin files a suit for Sarah claiming assorted damages resulting from the accident. Here, Brady would be liable because he owns the car that struck Sarah.

Once upon a time, long ago, as I was driving down a 4 lane highway, coming to a crossroad with right of way, no stops or slows............a woman who was stopped at that crossroad, gunned her car, speeding thru a stop/slow sign, causing us to collide. If we hadn't, she would have then hit a car with 6 children in it. My car was demolished............but that driver, not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected from her car, and did not make it. Witnesses called police, who made sure I was not injured badly, as did that witness ........but asked me if I thought that woman was trying to commit suicide. Egads.....

I said if she was, seems she would have picked a big truck, rather than my small car. I have no idea what caused her to gun her car like that.......Yes, traumatic for me. I had to call hubby to come get me, the car was demolished. My insurance paid me for my car, so I could get another (which cost me additional $$, even though I bought used. I guess the insurance companies (mine and hers) did whatever they do. The thing is........I never even thought of suing for additional monies. It shocked me when I was asked if I did.

And that witness........she was the one with the 6 kids in the car. It was all so traumatic. But they were all o.k. If that driver had not collided with me.....it would have been a very different outcome.

And so.....I find this story of Brady, Fiona, speeding and hitting someone, reviving memories, I was hoping to never have again.

Back